Deep packet inspection (DPI) is a networking technology that can be used by Internet Service Providers or Enterprises to monitor customer’s / employee data traffic, improve network security and collect statistical information. The main research questions that this project focuses on are:
- Is DPI a disruptive technology that will change the way we regulate the Internet?
- How widespread is its deployment and what is it being used for?
DPI use in Network security
Intrusion detection and prevention
- “Throttling,” traffic shaping
- Ad injection and targeted ads
- Detection and blocking of file sharing
- Prohibited content recognition and blocking
National security surveillance
* Research funded by: NSF and NGIF (Netherelands)